Beauty Currently: WFH Edition

By afparungao - Sunday, September 20, 2020


I like talking about beauty and beauty products so heads up — this post will be long.


I don't know about you, but when my company asked us to start working from home, I got excited about the idea. We normally have a twice-a-month work from home schedule, which I always look forward to, but not expecting it to be months indefinitely. No more waking up extra time to prepare (I'm very slow in the morning) and no need to wear make-up. Woohoo!

However, as months passed by, I started looking at my unused make-up products. I began missing getting ready in the morning that I can't believe that what was once my most tedious routine became one of the things I look forward to now. Also, just the thought of not finishing my beauty products made me feel like I am wasting them.

So one day, I picked them up again — started with my lip tint, then moved to blush. Now, on some days, I'd use lipstick. And I can't believe how happy it made me. Got excited to choose and wear a different colour, even though I'm just at home. And boy, putting some colour on my face made a huge difference in the way I look in video calls, haha!

As things start to go back to normal here in Bangkok, we are now required to go back to the office twice a week now. And I can say make-up routine has renewed my energy to go back to the office. It is now actually one of the things I look forward to when I prepare in the morning. Meanwhile, on days I stay and work at home, I still put some effort to put on light make-up: blush and lip tint are my go-to's (together with SPF!).

The next part will be lengthy, but you've made it here, so let's talk about the specifics.

In case you're interested, here are the products I have been using lately:
 


I start off with my tried and tested primer, Benefit Porefessional. I've tried lots of priming products before, but I keep coming back to this one — fills in pores and makes my skin look smoother instantly.

For my base, I still go for light coverage with sun protection. I discovered Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser in 2N1 Nude before the pandemic. It instantly became my favourite because it still gives enough coverage to even out skin tone even if it's lightweight. Plus, who doesn't want the extra (don't forget to put your sunscreen before this!) SPF 30?

After using a drugstore brand for quite a while, I realised that I'd still go back to my favourite concealer, despite the price. The one I used before often left my face looking cakey at the end of the day and clings to my dry patches (shout out to my fellow combination skin!). However, Nars Soft Matte Concealer (I use the shade Ginger) stays put and doesn't emphasise them. Don't be fooled by its packaging though. I can use one tub for months even if I use it every day, making it a worth it buy. Ah, it's a miracle in a little pot.

I have also been using multi-use products in cremes because I think that's how you get your money's worth? I use the BLK Multitasking Colour Stick in Cocoa for my contour, but you can also use it for eyes and lips! It's creamy, but you can blend it easily with your fingers, brush (I prefer to use an angled brush) or sponge so don't worry about looking muddy or dirty.

Meanwhile, in the same hardworking philosophy, my Mac Glow Play in So Rosy Does It is my favourite shade for my cheeks! You can quickly diffuse the colour if you want it to look natural or pack on the product to make it pop. Like the previous products mentioned, you can use it in several ways: as your eye shadow, blush, and lip stain. I sometimes use this product alone when I need a quick pick me up or don't want to put much effort, but still want to look put together for my video calls, haha.
 


I have a ridiculously hyper-sensitive skin around my eye area, and when I use a product that doesn't sit well with it, all hell breaks loose. I am glad I found these products that are easy to use and has not aggravated my skin yet — cross fingers!

Another BLK product (seriously guys, check this Filipino brand out, so good!), my Universal Brow Stick in Natural Brown is by far, the best eyebrow product I've used. It's a two-in-one product: one end has the eyebrow pencil and eyebrow mascara on the other. The pencil is simple to use and easily retractable if you need more. With a light-handed application, you can fill in your brows without looking heavily drawn (my fear!). Meanwhile, the mascara helps you achieve that brush-up brow effect while keeping them in place all day. It doesn't clump your brows as well, so you have natural-looking eyebrows. You can use both or one of them to achieve the effect you want. Usually, I use the mascara first, then fill in with the pencil. You can just imagine how this product has helped me make my brows look neat even though I haven't had them groomed for a long time because of the stay-at-home restrictions!




My mascara and eyeliners were recent purchases, and they're from Uzu by Flowfushi (formerly Mote). I'm not a fan of thick lashes, but I like them long — and this Micro mascara gives me that. As someone with sensitive skin, it doesn't take me much to remove this product, all I need is warm water to wash it off. I also like the sleek packaging because I'm a sucker for aesthetic, lol.

Meanwhile, the Uzu Flowushi's Eye Opening Liner is so, so good for someone who hasn't done eyeliner before. I'm so bad at putting eyeliner, but this one, because of the soft, calligraphy-like brush, glides so smoothly, making drawing effortless. Like the mascara, it comes off with warm water, too and doesn't require much rubbing. One thing though, it's not long-lasting, but that's OK for me.


And finally, we have reached my favourite part: Lipsticks!

My favourite hobby during quarantine was to swatch my lipsticks. I even send photos to my best friend KZ, and she would tell me that all my lipsticks are in the same shade — that is true.

I currently have more than 10 in my collection, but these four are in my constant rotation.
  • Mac Powder Kiss Liquid Lip Colour in Got a Call Back: I think this is my favourite matte lipstick, ever. Glides smoothly, and is not drying even if with the formulation. It's also multi-use, so even with the price, I think it's still worth it. 
  • Bobbi Brown Colour Crush lipstick in Daring Dalalid: I came across this product after looking for a Glossier Gen G Jam replacement. I think this product is better! Despite being creme/satin texture (It's one of the two I own because I usually go for a matte finish), I still like it's a lipstick, but feels like a lip balm. It leaves my often dry lips so happy! Too bad, this colour is not sold everywhere, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I finish this bullet. 
  • Penshoppe LiteMatte in Next Move: Not a lot of people are a fan of this product, but I somehow like it so much. I have been looking for a similar shade, but can't seem to find it, so trying to hold on to this matte lippies for as long as possible. 
  • Clarins Water Lip Stain in Violet Water: Don't you hate it when lip stains leave your pucker dry? I've used so many of these products (I love it because lip stains don't feel like anything!) but is often disappointed. So far, this product is living up to my expectations. I use it almost every day — on its own or layered with other lipstick. Plus, it lasts longer than any stains I've used, so it's so worth it. 
No solo pic, but I finish off everything with my trusty setting spray, the Urban Decay All-Nighter. I've been using another one for a long time, and I can assure you that this cult product does what it says. I've gone to lots of parties, have walked around under excruciating heat, and have worn mask almost whole day outside, and my make up stays in place. Amazing!

I've said so much in this blog when I just wanted to introduce my current fave beauty products. Haha, please share yours with me, too! I'd like to know what you're using :)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments