Day Four- Seven TV Shows You Remember From Your Childhood

By afparungao - Monday, December 06, 2010

If I hadn't said it too much, I'm going to say it again. My childhood was spent mostly in front of TV. We used to live in a building and my brother and I were not allowed to go out because no. 1: we might fall down the stairs and no. 2: if we go out, we might get hit by vehicles traversing Aurora Blvd. As much as our parents wanted us to go out and meet the world, we couldn't so most of the time, we're in front of the TV flipping channels, fed VHS player with tapes, and built communities with my doll house and my brother's train set. 

Things did not change when we move to a new apartment. Although we no longer live near highway and we can pretty much go out and meet our neighbours, my brother and I chose not too. Instead, we flipped channels, fed VCD/DVD players with CDs, and played Sims. Exciting.

As siblings, we watched TV so much that at one point, our parents hid the remote so we'd take a nap instead. Of course we didn't. So you could just imagine us, getting all the program schedules to a T. No need for TV guide because we got your back. Although we don't watch as much TV now as we did before (due to the scarcity of anything worthy of watching), we still get to watch TV shows, not technically on TV, but downloaded series (rar! rar! rar!) If I get to watch TV, I'd stay tuned most of the time to JackTv. 

So I will take you back to the days when I had more than two channels to watch and give seven TV shows I remember from my childhood.

1. Sineskwela- If some of us wanted to be scientist at some point of our lives, it must be because of this show. We all stay glued in front of the TV by 9:30am everyday and watch Agatom, Anatom, Gat Puno, Buknoy, and the rest of the other characters that made us wish we'd also shrink to get inside small intestine. Science was fun with Sineskwela. We all wished our classes were taught with songs and visuals just like in Sineskwela. Also, we wished our teachers dressed up like Christine Bersola. By the way, the opening notes of Sineskwela's theme song sound so much like Lily Allen's Fuck You (very much? not sure of title)


2. For Kids Only- I don't know if I'm the only one who remembers this show. When I talk about it, most of the people I speak to often give me a blank face. Don't you guys remember Ms. April? How she needed to explain the way toys work? How those (lucky) kids get to play every toy we wished we had? No? Okay. But I remember it, too bad you can't.

3. Daria- Daria Morgendorffer, where do I begin with you? This show kind of made me excited about highschool. Thought it was fun to sit with poker face and observe people hah. Thank heavens I don't have a sister like Quinn. I was kind of flattered when my boss told me I look a bit like Daria. Nananana... Still couldn't find DVD set of Daria in Manila.


4. Diary- "You think you know, but you have no idea..." the famous opening line of this show. If you want to know things about your favourite pop stars, watch Diary. I remember it being shown every 4:30 pm on Saturdays. I also remember Christina Aguilera's because it was shown often. I'm not so sure though if MTV still has this show. Here's part one of Christina Aguilera's Diary, pre-Dirrrty. Watch the rest here


5. Sarah, Ang Munting Prinsesa- Admit it. You wake up early in the morning to watch this. We all rooted for Sarah, hated Lavinia and Ms. Minchin, cried with Lottie, pitied Becky, and most of the girls my age wanted to be Sarah in their circle of friends, or Lavinia if you wanted to bitch out as a kid. By the way, don't pretend you did not watch the movie version. Heh. 


6. WWF- I spent Saturday nights watching fights between the greatest fighters of our time. Mr. Perfect, Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Gold Dust, Steve Austin, Mankind (Mick Foley and his deadly socks) Undertaker. Royal Rumble was my favourite wrestling event, so was Wrestlemania. Wrestlers today are all show (although they were also all show then, but I'm biased hehe) I got tired of watching WWE because most of them are whiners. Most of us grew up watching Eddie Guerrero lie, cheat, and steal but did not do so with death and Chris Benoit's star's descent. 

7. MTV Alternative Nation- Long before MTV Pilipinas and its lousy set of VJs, MTV Southeast Asia used to feed our local MTV with shows from US, then Singapore after some time. It was the glory years of MTV, dominating music channel kingdom, until there was Vid-Ok which eventually became Myx. I loved the older MTV, especially this show. I hated the fact that I got to get home around 4pm from Mondays to Thursdays because I don't get to watch this. I also stayed up late, to catch up for the 10:30pm airing. Foo Fighters, Garbage, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cardigans, Alanis Morissette, and the like. I'm not so sure if I saw Nirvana here first too. 

Honestly, I'm quite enjoying this meme. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments