Kitchen Dreams

By afparungao - Friday, January 22, 2010

I don't know how to cook.

That's something really unfortunate for my future husband and family. I can't cook a decent meal to save my life and probably if I start living on my own, years from now, I'm afraid I will have to depend on take- outs and fast food dine- ins. All my past boyfriends know this. All the guys who started making the moves also knew about this. The potential husband to be knows this. I'm glad this has not caused any issue. Well, just yet.

Two weeks ago, my boyfriend asked me to cook for him, but I ended up buying a meal from Burger King. I think he's a better cook than I am. He can make anything, he's a kitchen genius. Maybe because he's been living independently for three years now and his family is into this cooking- activity- as- a- bonding thing, which my family do not have. We leave all the cooking to mama, because she's a really good cook.

Sometimes I wonder how mama whips out those delicious meals. I mean, she's not into those cooking shows and she only reads cooking books when she has to (e.g. cook meal for party, special occasion) But to read it like most women do, say leisurely, no, she does not do that. Sometimes when there are left over ingredients in the fridge, give everything to her and she can absolutely make something out of it. She's a kitchen extraordinaire.

Although I may look like someone who's not interested in cooking meals, I am definitely much willing to learn and take on any dish. Deep inside, I want to cook something. I want to come up with a meal. I want to cook something soupy, like Sinigang na Baboy. I want to cook the staple Filipino food Adobo. I want to cook my comfort food Menudo, but I want them to taste like Mama's. I don't think I'll be able to eat them if they don't taste the same as hers.

I remember during our Home Economics class in High School, we were taught how to cook simple meals. Those that involve deep frying, boiling, etc. All I did was buy the ingredients and boss people around and tell them what to do. When the teacher's there, that's when I will "involve" myself. When she leaves, I'd be the first one to go. The only time I allowed myself to get involved in was when we started baking. I loved baking pies! We used to do custard pies back then and mine is always a hit, because I "put my heart in to it." Other than the pies, everything else is FAIL, I have to say.

The only reason I can think of now why I don't like cooking is because it takes a lot of time. You have to carefully measure everything to get the right taste and texture. You have to wait for the pan to heat up or the water to boil before you put something. Cooking entails a lot of waiting and I am afraid that's something I do not have. I lack the patience. If probably I can gather up enough patience, then I can probably come up with my own dish.

For now, I'll be waiting for my patience to level up and by then hopefully I can whip out my own Sinigang na Baboy, like the one we're having tonight for dinner.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments