I Don't Get It.

By afparungao - Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Really.

I was in one of my classes awhile ago and we're supposed to pick a topic for a paper/ oral presentation for next year. I found all the listed topics pretty boring and none of them sparked any interest in me. So without much hesitations and with the absence of my partner, I decided that what we are going to present will be about the Disqualification of the Partylist Ladlad in the 2010 elections. So I went to the professor's table and told the professor that I wanted to have that topic for our paper.

Lo and Behold, the professor told me we cannot have that topic, because it's rather difficult to talk about that topic without delving on the sex lifestyle of homosexuals. Then again it hit me, WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT PROFESSOR TALKING ABOUT? Really. All I wanted to study and do a paper on is the partylist's disqualification, not about their sex life. The professor even went on, disregarding another topic regarding a congressman who wants to penalize those who will plan to have same sex union, saying the same reasons the professor told me beforehand. Mind you, my classmate's gay and knows a lot more than that professor.

You see, that's what I don't get. I thought as journalists, we're not allowed to take sides. Fine, screw it. You believe backwardly, but come on, IT'S OUR FRIGGIN PAPER and we'll be doing all the researching and talking so you don't have to really discuss anything, that's well, as if you're discussing anything substantial anyway. You told us that you're going to set aside your opinion with regard to our topics. And what is this? Why aren't we allowed to talk about this thing in this class, just because you don't like it? I don't think it's fair, considering that we're doing a lot more complicated topic than this. Personally, I don't find being gay vulgar to begin with. I don't find it offensive to know them, talk to them, and know their lifestyle because really, they're people like us. I thought the discrimination about gender preference is over and I thought it's immoral to not respect other people's decision? Then what just happened there?

Look, being gay doesn't make them less of a person. In fact, it makes them better because at least they stand for what they feel and they have the courage to admit who they are. The reason why there are a lot of closeted gays is because the fear of rejection. Come on, it's the 21st century, this thing exists since Alexander the Great's (or even earlier) time, so why are we still appalled by this issue?

If we chose to not talk and ignore this issue make us better people than them?

Alright, I just have to settle on this super "amazing" topic that my partner and I have.
Do students violate ethics and public trust by writing in the annual surveys nagative personalized comments against their teachers when they should comment instead on teaching knowledge and methods?
Oh, this is for another story.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments